Church of Santa Maria della Neve
The Church of Santa Maria della Neve was built in the late fifteenth century in a strategic place, because it was outside the centre, but along the transit route, the “Valeriana” road, which led to the Alpine passes and the mines of Val Trompia. Its position makes it a very popular place of worship, which is why the building was restored in the early 1530s: two porticoes were added to the central body, for shelter and reception of pilgrims, and a terminal chapel. Three large Gothic windows were filled in to obtain continuous surfaces suitable for the execution of the new decorative apparatus. The dating of these interventions is linked to the news of a credit contracted in 1534 by Girolamo Romanino with the representatives of the inhabitants of Pisogne, a lay body that took care of the civic-owned church. The start of the construction site and the creation of the paintings took place around this chronological reference: an operation of considerable commitment, both for the theme and for the dimensions of a decoration that involves the entire building.
Watch the introductory
Frescoes in Santa Maria della Neve
The work that Romanino carried out in Pisogne between 1532 and 1534 began the Camunian phase of the artist, which would later lead him also to Breno and Bienno. A large cycle of frescoes, of impressive theatricality, on the theme of the passion, decorates the sanctuary of Santa Maria della Neve. Baptized as “The Sistine Chapel of the Poor”, the church of Pisogne is considered one of the highest points of Romanino’s poetics.