Chapel of San Rocco
The small chapel dedicated to S. Rocco stands in the parvis of the parish church of Villongo S. Filastro, behind the apse, in what was once its cemetery. It is an open newsstand, closed in two parts: on the south side, where the altar is located, and on the east side, where a wall separates it from the street. The other two sides are open and rest, with round arches, on an elegant column in Sarnico sandstone. The ceiling is composed of an “umbrella” vault and a cross vault joined to support a gabled roof. The load-bearing frame is made of wood with overlying planks and terracotta tiles. As for the decorations, the vault is made up of painted bands that surround and conclude the lunettes by connecting to the walls, divided into compartments by fake marbled pillars. Each plume, for a total of six, houses an oculus, seen in perspective of which the sky appears crossed by white or orange streaks of clouds. Fake pillars, arches, bands, and spandrels are stained and streaked to imitate the veins of marble of various colors, from warm to cold tones. Inside, a modest masonry altar and two stone columns delimit the apse. The floor covering is in terracotta The dating of the chapel painted by Romanino is fluctuated between the years 1526-15281, due to the certain presence of Romanino in those years in the Calepio valley, and due to the spread of the cult of San Rocco from 1525, the year in which the plague ended.
Watch the introductory
Virgin Mary and Saints
It is an organic cycle of frescoes, shown on three large wooden panels, inserted in an architectural structure similar to the Renaissance loggia buildings typical of the Brescia and Bergamo areas. In the centre the Virgin dressed in red and blue with a white drape that frames her head soaked in light.