Church of Sant’Alessandro in Colonna
The Church of Sant’Alessandro seems to have been built in the 6th century on the ruins of an ancient pagan temple, of which, however, there are no traces. It appears in documents from 1133, when the church was called “ad columna” due to the presence of Roman remains such as columns. Tradition has it that in this place the Roman centurion Alessandro was beheaded, who would later become the patron saint of the city of Bergamo. The first consecration dates back to 1474, other consecrations will follow over the centuries following expansion works. In the churchyard in front of the church there is a column, whose reconstruction dates back to 1618, and finds, whose origin is controversial. The neoclassical facade is in white marble; the interior has a plan with a nave and numerous side chapels. In 1997 the Church of Sant’Alessandro was proclaimed Basilica.
Watch the introductory
Assumption of the Virgin Mary (1545)
The canvas depicting the Assumption of the Virgin is kept inside the Basilica; the canvas is divided, as often happens in the frescoes of the painter from Brescia, on two levels. The upper part depicts the Virgin Mary wrapped in clouds and surrounded by putti who accompany her towards the image of a god represented in the act of crowning her.